There’s no place like home for the holidays, but we can’t pack San Diego in a box. So, if you’re looking to give a locally-themed gift this year, Monica + I are here to help. We’ve rounded up local items we can’t live without that can be gifted— or kept for yourself (no judgment).
- Bird Rock Coffee Roasters | As a coffee lover, this local shop is one of my favorites. I often get beans to take home, especially blends with local ties like “Little Italy Blend” and “Little Blue Penguin”
- San Diego Zoo membership | The zoo is massive, so I like taking dozens of small trips to give each exhibit the attention it deserves. The annual membership lets me do that, and it includes the Safari Park in Escondido.
- Vuori | This athleisure brand was founded in Encinitas, and the Kore Shorts are perfect for relaxing, being active, or taking a trip to the beach.
- Calicorn Popcorn | I take snacking very seriously, and this is one of my favorite treats. Plus, it’s stocked at local grocery stores like Ralphs + Vons, so it’s super easy to buy a few bags.
- “Anchorman” | In San Diego, Ron Burgundy is kind of a big deal. So, it’s important to have the movie so I understand all of the references I encounter — and for laughs.
- Liberty Public Market | A visit to Paraná Empanadas or Bottlecraft is a must, and new vendor Kebab Craft, too. The best part: the market now offers e-gift cards that can be used across vendors.
- Daniel’s Coffee | This tiny cart in Spanish Village at Balboa Park serves a great cup of coffee. Sip while enjoying the colors of the village.
- Concert tickets to The Rady Shell | I went to many great shows at the waterfront venue in 2022, and now, I’m hooked. Counting down the days to buy 2023 tickets.
- Everyday California apparel | I mean, the logo is a bear carrying a surfboard. What more could you want? This La Jolla-based shop does San Diego style right.
- San Diego craft breweries | You don’t become the Capital of Craft without local love. Some of my go-to tap rooms to grab a pint, cans, or growler refills include AleSmith Brewing Company, Attitude Brewing, and North Park Beer Co.