The weather is getting colder + days are shorter, but who wants a silent night? ‘Tis the season of local holiday shows, and we’re gifting you a nice list of live performances to watch so you can get into the spirit sooner than later.
For the festive family
- Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas! | Through Saturday, Dec. 31 | The Old Globe | $24+ | He’s mean, green, and ruining the holiday in Whoville.
- Prairie Lights | Friday, Dec. 2-Sunday, Dec. 18 | Patio Playhouse | $13+ | This youth musical follows an orphan’s efforts to reunite a town in time for Christmas + Hanukkah.
- Golden State Ballet Presents The Nutcracker | Friday, Dec. 16-Friday, Dec. 23 | Civic Theatre | $25+ | Acclaimed dancers perform the holiday ballet accompanied by Tchaikovsky’s timeless score.
- The Sound Of Christmas Sing-Along | Sunday, Dec. 18 | 2:30 p.m. | Balboa Theatre | $30+ | Bring your singing voice, Emmy-nominated conductor Charles Fernandez leads these tunes.
- 1222 Oceanfront: A Black Family Christmas | Tuesday, Dec. 20-Saturday, Dec. 24 | New Village Arts | $28 | A celebration of culture + family — with a dash of Christmas drama.
For the local legend
- Ebenezer Scrooge’s BIG San Diego Christmas Show | Friday, Nov. 18-Saturday, Dec. 24 | The Old Globe | $45+ | The Charles Dickens classic takes a local, comedic twist.
- It’s A Wonderful Vida | Thursday, Dec. 1-Wednesday, Dec. 21 | OnStage Playhouse | $25 | Playwright Herbert Siguenza gives the classic holiday story a Chula Vista spin.
- San Diego Ballet Presents The Nutcracker | Saturday, Dec. 17 | 1 + 5 p.m. | The Magnolia | $55+ | Local talent soars during this showing of the classic, accompanied by Tchaikovsky’s score.
For the Scrooge on your list
- The Trial of Ebenezer Scrooge | Thursday, Nov. 17-Sunday, Nov. 20 | North Coast Repertory Theatre | $16+ | Find out what happens when Ebenezer Scrooge sues the Ghosts of Christmas Past.
- A Christmas Carol | Tuesday, Nov. 22-Sunday, Dec. 11 | Cygnet Theatre | $38+ | Don’t be a Scrooge — check out this Charles Dickens classic.
- A Christmas Carol | Thursday, Dec. 1-Saturday, Dec. 24 | Lamb’s Players Theatre | $22+ | Kerry Meads’ adaptation of the Charles Dickens story returns.
For the music lover
- Night of Christmas | Saturday, Dec. 3 | 4 + 8 p.m. | The Rady Shell | $10+ | Awaken Church presents live symphony, carols, fireworks, breathtaking aerialists + more.
- Jingle | Saturday, Dec. 10-Sunday, Dec. 11 | Balboa Theatre | $26.50+ | The San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus leads a set of holiday tunes.
- Noel Noel | Friday, Dec. 9-Sunday, Dec. 11 | The Rady Shell | $40+ | Conductor Christopher Dragon leads the San Diego Symphony’s holiday tradition.
- Harry Connick, Jr. | Sunday, Dec. 11 | 7 p.m. | Civic Theatre | $135+ | Celebrate the season with the award-winning crooner.
- Coronado Playhouse Holiday Cabaret | Friday, Dec. 16-Sunday, Dec. 18 | Coronado Playhouse | $15+ | A year-end, feel-good holiday variety show.
- An Irish Christmas | Saturday, Dec. 17 | 7:30 p.m. | Balboa Theatre | $38+ | Step dance into the holiday season.
- LeAnn Rimes | Thursday, Dec. 22 | 8 p.m. | Pala Casino Spa Resort | $35+ | The country singer performs “Joy: The Holiday Tour.”
For the Jokester
- 2 Pianos, 4 Hands | Wednesday, Dec. 7-Sunday, Jan. 1 | North Coast Repertory Theatre | $57 | Jefferson McDonald + Matthew McGloin take you on a musical, comedic journey — part of the theater’s holiday series.
- Gnome in the Home | Friday, Dec. 16 | 7:30 p.m. | Vista’s Broadway Theater | $20 | Jessica Hackenson’s one-woman holiday spectacular.