Planning a getaway? Check out Hollywood, California — the famous hub for creatives and entertainment fanatics alike. If you’re a fan of the silver screen, this one’s for you.
Hi, SDtoday editor Monica here. Living in San Diego, we’re just a skip away from Hollywood, California — about a two-and-half hour drive. From the iconic Hollywood Sign and Hollywood Walk of Fame, to the historic Grauman’s Chinese Theater, there’s so much to see in Tinseltown. It’s showtime. 🎬
- Gaze at the iconic Hollywood Sign from various vantage points — like the 3-mile loop along the Hollywood Reservoir — or use these trails to hike to it, including Mt. Hollywood Trail.
- Visit Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and put your hands and feet atop the imprints of the stars. I always enjoy looking at Judy Garland’s tiny footprints, and Shirley Temple’s handprints, too.
- Try to attend a live taping to experience true Hollywood magic. You can sign up for free tickets to TV shows like “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” at El Capital Theater or “America’s Got Talent” at Dolby Theatre.
- For amazing local restaurants, try one of these gems or head to one of the classic Mel’s Drive-In locations.
- Find more travel tips in this guide or this West Hollywood edition.
Act like a local:
- Food: Spaghetti Pomodoro at Jones, $18
- Drink: Late Night Drink at Lost Property Bar
- Family: The kids (and adults) will love the oddities at Ripley’s Believe It or Not! or spending the day at Universal Studios Hollywood.
- Explore: Get close to the celebs — or, at least their likeness — at the “World’s Greatest Wax Museum” Madame Tussauds Hollywood.
- Coffee: Alfred at Glossier Alley — come for the coffee, stay for the Instagram-worthy photo ops.
- Listen: Catch up on the latest celebrity gossip by taking the TMZ Celebrity Tour.
- Learn: Visit the Hollywood Museum at the Max Factor Building to see the most extensive collection of Tinseltown memorabilia in the world and learn the stories that shaped the entertainment mecca.
Where to stay:
- Vrbo: Sunset Blvd. Townhouse | 2 BR, 2.5 BA, with pool and hot tub | ~$226/night*
- Airbnb: Charming Weho West Hollywood Apartment | 1 BR, 1 BA | ~$135/night
- Splurge hotel: Pendry West Hollywood | ~$655/night
- Save hotel: Best Western Hollywood Plaza Inn | ~$175/night